A new month is here so that means we get a slew of movies and series coming to all of the streaming services. I’ve handpicked 5 upcoming titles that I believe will be worth the watch. I’ll be reviewing some of these titles and more on my Youtube channel. All of them won’t make it to this site. So make sure to SUBSCRIBE by clicking HERE. I want to get to 100 subscribers by the end of June. I know we can make that happen.
1. Fatherhood (Netflix) – A father brings up his baby girl as a single dad after the unexpected death of his wife who died a day after their daughter’s birth. Kevin Hart showed his acting chops in The Upside and there is little doubt that he won’t do just as well in this drama as well. I’ve been waiting for this movie to release since he announced it. It will be available to watch June 18th.
2. Sweet Tooth (Netflix) – A boy who is half human and half deer survives in a post-apocalyptic world with other hybrids. This series stars Nonso Anozie and Christian Convery as Tommy Jeppard & Gus, respectively. Believe it or not, this is based on a DC Comic. I know, I know. I also didn’t know that DC had actual fantasy comics. Even with the trailers, I still have a lot of questions. So far DC hasn’t let us down with their series so give it a watch. It premieres tomorrow, June 4th, on Netflix.
3. Awake (Netflix) movie – After a devastating global event wipes out all electronics and eliminated people’s ability to sleep, a former soldier may have found a solution with her daughter. Not to be confused with the other movie on Netflix called Awake (though if you do get confused, it’s a great watch). I am here for all things science fiction and all things alien. Although, I don’t believe they say it has anything to do with aliens. That’s the working theory I’m going with though. Netflix so far hasn’t let us down when it comes to sci-fi so I’m excited to watch this. You can stream Awake on Netflix on June 9th.
4. In The Heights (HBO) movie – The scent of a cafecito caliente hangs in the air just outside of the 181st Street subway stop. The likeable, magnetic bodega owner Usnavi saves every penny from his daily grind as he hopes, imagines and sings about a better life. In The Heights stars Anthony Ramos, Corey Hawkins, Lin-Manuel Miranda & a bunch others. Now if you’ve seen Hamilton then you already know how great Lin-Manuel Miranda is and you know how great this story is about to be. I’m not a fan of musicals (though I did watch Hamilton) because I’m not a fan of extending the movie time with songs and the storyline not being propelled forward. With all of that said, I’m a fan of the actors so I will be watching it anyway! You can watch In The Heights in theaters and on HBO Max on June 10th.
5. Lisey’s Story (Apple TV+) series – A widow becomes the object of a dangerous stalker, obsessed with her husband’s work. Julianne Moore never comes to play in any of her roles. It doesn’t matter how big or small. Now we get to see her shine in a Stephen King adaptation. This series is based on the book Lisey’s Story that was published in 2006. I personally haven’t read it but if you’ve read anything by Stephen King then you know he can take some mundane and make it absolutely terrifying. So one can only imagine what he can do with concept that’s already a little scary. It premieres tomorrow, June 4th, on Apple TV+.
Matchstick Men (HBO) – A phobic con artist and his protégé are on the verge of pulling off a lucrative swindle when the former’s teenage daughter arrives unexpectedly. I have been a pretty die hard fan of Nicolas Cage. It definitely started with Matchstick Men. In my opinion, this movie was some of this best acting. The story pulls you in and you can’t stop watching until the credits roll. Now streaming on HBO Max.
Rat Race (HBO) – A Las Vegas casino magnate, determined to find a new avenue for wagering, sets up a race for money. If you have ever heard someone say “I’m prairie dogging it!” just know that it’s from this movie. I watched this the year it released and I haven’t been able to get it out of my mind sense. Absolutely one of the funniest movies that I have ever watched. Ever! Now streaming on HBO Max.
Paddington (Peacock) – I had to include a title for the littles! Paddington is about about a talking bear named (you guessed it!) Paddington that travels from Peru to London. He meets a family that takes him in and winds up getting into a load trouble. It’s a funny movie! I would definitely recommend watching Paddington 2 after watching this. They’re both amazing. You can start watching this on Peacock TV on June 6th.